- He believes he has only a few words left, and wishes to save them.
- He glimpsed the ghost of Mrs. Hastings, again, in the hallway.
- He’s sick of Gerald’s comments.
- Dr. Courtemanche has convinced him that he’s a werewolf, and tomorrow night is a full moon.
- At supper, he made the mistake of trying the pork griskin.
- He has only trite things to say, such as “all’s well that ends well,” and wants no one to make fun of him later, after he’s left.
- He is sure this is all a nightmare, and is waiting to wake up.
- Beatrice said no.
- The encounter yesterday with the porcupine.
Stephen Kelly lives in Portland, Oregon with his wife and son.